Klever Gartenlandschaft


Prologue

 

 

 

Prince Johann Moritz von Nassau-Siegen (1604-1679) transformed the area around the town of Kleve into a Baroque park landscape which was virtually unparalleled in the 17th century. His plans greatly influenced garden design throughout Europe and became a model for the park at Sanssouci in Potsdam, to give just one example.

Today the town of Kleve is still surrounded by avenues, parks and gardens. In the northwest, the Neuer Tiergarten (New Wildlife Park) is well preserved along with its amphitheatre and long Prinzenkanal (Prince Canal). The amphitheatre is dominated by a statue of the goddess Minerva. Standing above the amphitheatre, it is still possible to get a clear view of the structural pattern of the lines of sight. These lines meet at the Sternberg and Kleverberg in a star shape. From here, there are further views towards the Schwanenburg (Schwanen Castle) in Kleve and to Schloss Moyland (Moyland Castle). The system of lines of sight and linear vistas was included in the park at the time and given an extremely varied topography due to the integration of Kleverberg hill.

Prinz-Moritz-Kanal continues the main axis of the amphitheatre, drawing the eye across the Rhine plain to the Eltenberg where the romantic Stiftskirche (collegiate church) in Hochelten forms a further “point de vue”. The Prince-Moritz-Kanal ends at Tiergartenstrasse with two square islands surrounded by moats.