Staatspark Karlsaue


Prologue

 

The large Baroque park initiated by Landgrave Karl (1654 – 1730) was laid out from 1680 onwards below the old residential palace of the landgraves of Hessen-Kassel. The fundamental components of the basic Baroque structure, comprising the three main paths radiating from the bowling green in front of the orangery, the large basin and “Siebenbergen” island, were retained when the park was redesigned as a landscape garden in 1785. As a result, it consists of an attractive mixture of Baroque elements, e.g. long straight avenues and canals, and effectively arranged “natural areas” made up of a variety of shrubs and groups of trees. The varied colours of the foliage create an impressive effect when the leaves change colour in autumn.

The botanical highlight of the park is “Siebenbergen” island at its southwest end. Redesigned by court gardener Hentze in 1822, it is a well-tended botanical jewel with a large variety of shrubs, herbaceous perennials, bushes and flowers which is worth seeing throughout the seasons. Two peacocks walk proudly through the vegetation.

The “marble bath” pavilion is located next to the orangery and is one of the most significant ornate rooms of German Baroque architecture, featuring sculptures and reliefs of outstanding artistic quality.