Gatton Park


Prologue

 

 

Gatton Park is the idyllic parkland setting for the Royal Alexandra and Albert School.

The major elements of the landscape, lakes, watercourses, landform and perimeter tree belts were designed by ‘Capability’ Brown in the 18th century around the private home of Sir George Colebrooke.

In the 19th and early 20th century gardens were laid out near to the Hall in the styles of the time, a large rock garden designed by the firm James Pulham and son, a Japanese Garden and others. Sir Jeremiah Colman, of mustard fame, who was very interested in growing orchids, owned the property and the gardens contained many glasshouses for orchids, carnations and other plants. Though the house was rebuilt after a terrible fire in 1934, the Colmans moved away and after the war the property and 100ha around it became the home of the Royal Alexandra and Albert School.

After years of neglect the gardens are now being lovingly restored and maintained by a band of volunteers and public access is available on the afternoon of the first Sunday of every month, February to October. Private groups are able to book guided tours at other times and the Hall is available for hire for receptions and events, which can include the grounds.