Bad Salzuflen Spa Park


Prologue

 


Bad Salzuflen is one of the leading spas with salt and thermal springs. Covering an area of approximately 126 hectares, the spa and landscape park is one of the largest of its kind.

The centre of the town is the old Salzhof, where water was heated to extract the valuable salt as far back as 1048. The first graduation house was completed in 1770. Today it is used for open-air inhalation treatment.

In 1872, the Lippe court gardener Johann Georg Kahl created the rose garden at the historical bathhouses. From 1907 onwards, work began on the “Neuer Kurpark” along with the construction of the spa rooms and the drilling of the Leopold spring in the area between the Parkstrasse and the Salze river. The numerous benches are a striking feature. A large number of different and in some cases even rare trees and shrubs enhance the value of the park, e.g. the old ginkgo tree in the rose garden.

The adjoining, semi-natural landscape park covers most of the park. It was created in 1908 with a large lake and has constantly been expanded since.