The Museum Garden at Gaasbeek


Prologue

 

 

 

The Museum Garden at Gaasbeek (2,5ha) dates from 1996-1997 and is situated in the ancient Gaasbeek estate on the South slopes of Brussels.

The different sections of the garden show the Flemish art of gardening from 1860 till 1940 by trying to preserve and pass on the traditional horticultural skills from the past. The Museum Garden harbours a fine selection of hard and small fruit, vegetables, ornamental perennials and conservatory plants and climbing roses dating from around 1900. It was nearly doubled in surface in 2005. The extension shows a display of the most important modern pruning methods for low standard fruit.

During the 16th century, the estate was owned by the Egmond family, of whom Lamoral count of Egmond (°1522-1569), famous defender of the religious freedom, was beheaded in 1569 together with his dear friend and conspirator Philip de Montmorency, count of Horn (°1518) at the Grote Markt in Brussels by order of the Spanish catholic king Philip II.

The terrace garden dates from the René de Renesse de Warfusée period and was made between 1615 and 1633. The terrace garden is part of the Museum Garden lay out.