Flora-Park und Botanischer Garten


Prologue


 

 

The Flora-Park was designed by Peter Joseph Lenné in 1864 in a “mixed German garden style”. It contains elements of style from the French Baroque, the Italian Renaissance and English landscape gardens.

The centre of the park today remains the glass palace (orangery), an architectural structure of cast iron and glass which was particularly noteworthy at the time. The building’s design is clearly modelled on London’s “Crystal Palace” and the Jardin d’hiver in Paris.

Flowerbeds framed by an avenue of horse-chestnuts with red flowers form a French parterre on one of the short sides of the building. This is adjoined by an Italian-style area. High arbour walks of hornbeam flank a long, gradually-descending water cascade fashioned out of stone. The year 1906 saw the creation of the small Frauen-Rosenhof, an art nouveau garden.

In 1912, the Botanical Garden was laid out directly beside the Flora. It features water-lily pools and a pond into which a waterfall flows from a rock garden.

New glasshouses and exhibition houses for exotic and tropical species of plants were added in the 1950s.