Schlossgarten Weikersheim


Prologue

 

 

Weikersheim is a significant testimony to garden design of the late Baroque in southern Germany. Due to their integration of the town, the palace and garden comprise a particularly attractive cultural ensemble which has been listed in the State Registry of Historical Buildings since 1928. The restoration of the garden to its appearance of 1750 became an established aim for the care of the historical ensemble after the palace and garden had passed into the possession of the State of Baden-Württemberg in 1967. Particularly noteworthy features here are the surviving original lines of the garden's layout and the original inventory of sculptures.

Apart from the Baroque pleasure area, the historical picture presented by the palace garden includes further areas such as the fruit, kitchen and rose gardens. Cultivated plants which are traditionally associated with the garden are therefore shown in various places. Among these are the orangery plants in the pleasure garden and the auricula and fuchsia collections in the castellan's garden. The alchemy garden draws attention to the mystical past of Count Wolfgang II, the builder of the palace. Plants which were once associated with "magic and witchcraft" are displayed on the site of his former laboratory tower.