Schloss Rheda, which is one of the most significant moated castles in Westphalia, reflects architectural history from the Middle Ages to the Baroque period.
There is concrete evidence that a geometrical garden existed here as early as 1623. It was surrounded on three sides by a moat, in keeping with the typical style of the time in Holland. On the occasion of the Landesgartenschau (regional garden exhibition) in 1988, this garden was partly restored on the basis of historical plans and plants from the period such as old varieties of roses were reintroduced. The former orangery, a brick building in late-classicist architectural style, was built in 1873.
The character of the park to the north of the moated castle is like that of a designed park landscape. The term “deer meadow” indicates that a game reserve for the castle once existed here.
The “Flora Westfalica” nature and recreation park is in the centre of the town of Rheda-Wiedenbrück. In 1988, a continuous green link was created between the formerly independent towns of Rheda and Wiedenbrück. The many features for children make the 2.6 km long and 60-300 metre wide valley of the renaturalised Ems river a particularly worthwhile destination for outings.