Terrassengarten Kloster Kamp


Prologue


 

 

 

The terraced garden of Kloster Kamp (a Cistercian Monastery) is located on the southern slope of Kamper Berg. Created between 1740 and 1750 from plans drawn up by the monk and master architect Bücken, it was based on the Baroque concept of garden design in an Italian style.

The slope was divided into four terraces with espalier fruit, pyramid-shaped yews and vines. A curved set of steps led into the actual garden, which was given a strict formal structure by flowerbeds.

Some of the beds were used for the cultivation of vegetables and herbs. The garden design was enhanced by splendid flower parterres, plants in large pots, a colourful boscage, a fish pond and fountains. The orangery was used for cultivating exotic plants.

Following secularisation in 1802, the garden disappeared and the area was used for grazing cattle.

It was not until the period from 1986 to 1990 that the town of Kamp-Lintfort commissioned the re-establishment of the terraced gardens as they were shown in the original plans. The basis for this restoration was provided by the surviving Baroque topographical plan from the 18th century. The re-creation of the gardens adheres to the original model but also uses present-day architectonic aspects of design. The Baroque notions of order, symmetry and prestige are illustrated particularly clearly for the visitor.