Schlosspark Haydau


Prologue

 

A Baroque garden with terraces, parterres and a high surrounding wall was created on the instructions of Landgrave Karl (1654 – 1730) from 1685 onwards around Schloss Haydau, a former convent which later passed into the possession of the landgraves. It was possible to look out over the landscape of the Fulda river plain from some sections of the wall, the inside of which was furnished with niches. An elaborate flight of steps with an artificially-created grotto has survived in the park. It is reminiscent of similar structures in Landgrave Karl’s park at Wilhelmhöhe in Kassel and is a particular attraction of the Haydau garden. A new orangery building was erected to house tender plants in winter. Today, an oval fountain basin from this period can still be found on the upper terrace.

Trees and shrubs dating from the 19th and 20th centuries, among them two striking pyramid-shaped oaks, have changed the southern area of the garden and given it a romantic character of its own.

Large areas of the garden have now been reworked, the younger trees being retained and due consideration being given to factors involved in the care of a garden with listed status. The aim is to restore the garden to a close approximation of its Baroque state.