The island known as “Polvese” is situated in the south eastern part of the Lake Trasimeno and is the largest of the three islands of the lake.
The island was used by the Citterio counts as a hunting lodge and a holiday home. In 1959 Pietro Porcinai, one of the greatest Italian landscape architects of that time, was commissioned by Count Giannino Citterio, owner of the island to (re)design the garden, the tennis court, the landing stage, and the swimming pool carved out of a former sandstone quarry.
Porcinai created the landing stage consisting of a wooden jetty in the shape of a horseshoe within which the boat can be moored. Two rows of willows descend to the water’s edge bordering the wooden quay. The former flowerbeds were removed and the garden was divided into sectors, one of them being the herb garden.
An abandoned sandstone quarry, a desolate and unattractive spot, was transformed into a garden of aquatic plants with a nature like basin, also used for swimming, with a maximum depth of 5.30 meters.