Dalheim Monastery

Kloster Dalheim



Dalheim is one of the few former monasteries in the northern region of Germany where the visitor can still get an impression of the complete baroque complex. After a chequered history, it served as an Augustinian monastery from 1429 onwards. It was abolished in 1803 as part of the trend of secularisation. An oil painting from 1739 gives an idea of the gardens at their height in the Baroque period.

The "Eichkamp" can be seen in the painting to the west of the monastery wall. This was used during the monastery period for fattening pigs. One of the core pieces of the complex is the abbot garden, which is still used as a private kitchen and ornamental garden today.

The monastery garden is located on the southern side of the monastery. This originally had several terraces linked to each other by steps and two fountains as points of focus. As a result of archaeological excavations, it was possible to identify not only the fountains but also parts of the former supporting walls and stairwells.

Since 1979 the complex has been in the possession of the Landscape Association of Westphalia-Lippe, which is currently converting it into a Westphalian Monastery Museum. The monastery garden will be restored in this context.